The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MoDWS) felt the necessity to identify institutions as Key Resource Centres to carry out capacity building, re-orientation of different stakeholders, disseminating knowledge and information, documenting best practices etc. to achieve the sectoral goal of drinking water security, sustainability and sanitation in rural areas.
The Ministry identified Centre for Environment and Development, Kerala as a National Key Resource Centre to help the States and their agencies in Capacity Building of different stakeholders of both Rural Water and Sanitation sectors. The Centre will support the States of Odisha, Jharkhand and Kerala during 2013-2014 period and will extend its support mechanism to other States after that.
The major activities expected from CED as Key Resource Centre are :
- To impart hands on training on Solid and Liquid Waste Management at rural households, community, institutional and grampanchayat level;
- To design training modules and materials based on TNA researches;
- To carry out research and set up pilots to inculcate the use of latest technologies;
- To validate the new technologies in the field and standardize them;
- To build the capacity of Key Resource Persons at the State and District level;
- To provide technical guidance to the States to support the functioning of the Communication and Capacity Development Units (CCDUs);
- To organise orientation workshops, meetings and trainings for main stakeholders at the State level;
- To establish a Knowledge Centre and Sanitation Park to support the WATSAN activities in different States.