The 13th Kerala Environment Congress (KEC 2017) will be conducted at Thiruvananthapuram from 6th to 8th December, 2017
Science, Technology and Innovation for Environment and Development
Access to innovative and appropriate scientific technologies is essential for solving the environmental issues related to development and to promote economic development. It is now widely accepted that Science, technology and innovation can inform our understanding of the mechanisms of sustainable development, produce options for future sustainable growth, and promote adoption of practices founded in the best evidence available. Access to new and appropriate technologies also promote steady improvements in living conditions, which can be lifesaving for the most vulnerable populations, and drive productivity gains which ensure rising incomes. Experiences have shown that many of the current approaches for development are unsustainable, both in their inadequacy of fulfilling the social and economic development needs and in the dangers they pose to the environment and natural resources and other life-support systems. Unless substantial change occurs, the present generation may not be able to pass on an equivalent stock of environmental goods to the next generation.
The 13th KEC will be a thought provoking process facilitating sharing experiences and success stories from scientists, researchers, planners, policy makers, developers, NGOs, media etc. on innovations in science and technology for Environment and Development. The Congress is expected to identify future research and policy needs for Science, Technology and Innovation in India and will suggest some action programs for achieving the goal.
The major subthemes identified under the main theme “Science, Technology and Innovation for Environment and Development” are:
- Water Management: Issues, challenges and potentials for integrating science, technology and innovation in water management research and policy formulation.
- Energy Management: Challenges and potentials for integrating science, technology and innovation in energy sector
- Agriculture and Food Security: The role of science, technology and innovation in Agriculture and ensuring food security
- Health care facilities: Technological innovations to provide affordable health care facilities to all sections of the society
- Food and Nutrition: Innovative technologies in food and nutrition science
- Solid Waste Management: New innovative technologies for solid waste management
- Waste Water Management: Innovative technologies for waste water and sewage management- challenges and opportunities
- Transport: Need for technological innovation for developing safe, energy-efficient, operationally efficient, low emission, and flexible transportation system – the case of Mass Rapid Transit System
- Habitat: Science, Technology and innovations for sustainable buildings and landscape management
- Marine and Ocean Technology: Innovative technologies for marine and ocean resources management and utilization
- Disaster Management: Need for innovative technologies for disaster prediction and risk management
- Education: Science and Technology based innovative approached for refurbishing the Education System
- Space Technology for Development: Innovations in Space Application Technology for environment and development
- Geospatial Technology: Geospatial Technology for sustainable development planning and Governance
- Information and Communication Technology: Innovative approaches in Information and Communication Technology for environment friendly development
- Information Technology and Artificial Intelligence: Innovations for leveraging artificial intelligence and robotics for sustainable development
Padmasree M R Kurup Memorial Keynote Address
The Keynote address of the congress is dedicated to our founder Chairman Padmasree (late) M R Kurup.
Young Scientist Award
CED has instituted the Young Scientist Award for research students below the age of 30, in the name of our friend and colleague (Late) Dr R. Satheesh. The awards will be given for the best Oral and Poster presentations in the Congress.
Call for Papers
Full papers based on original research work carried out on the focal theme are invited from young scientists/research students of age below 30 years for both Oral presentation and Poster presentations. After scrutiny, the accepted papers will be put either in paper or poster category, which will be duly communicated to the authors. The size of the poster shall be 1m x 1 m and only one poster per person will be allowed. The certificate to prove age, certificate from the research guide and an undertaking that the work has not been presented elsewhere or has not been submitted for publication / award, shall be enclosed with the registration form. In the case of multiple authorship, the first author will be considered for the award, and he/she shall present the paper.
The soft copy of the full paper shall be submitted by email or in CD. The papers shall not exceed 5 pages including figures, tables, etc (Times New Roman, 10 point normal, single line space and with adequate margins). The references shall be given at the end of the paper in alphabetic order (no footnotes allowed).
Hotel accommodation is available on payment basis. The Organizing Committee will provide the details of the tariff of various hotels, on request. Delegates requiring accommodation may request the General Convener to provide necessary support.
Any organization/individual paying Rs 50,000/- will be accepted as a co-sponsor of the event and their names will be published in the Proceedings of the Congress. They can also send three delegates without any registration fee
Delegates: Rs 1000/-
Students and research scholars: Rs 300/- (required to enclose bona-fide certificate for availing the concession rate).
Additional fee for spot registration: Rs 100/-
Registration fee includes seminar kit, Proceedings Volume of the Congress and working lunch and tea during the seminar days.
Payments towards KEC 2016 shall be made by Demand Draft drawn in favour of “Executive Director, Centre for Environment and Development” payable at Thiruvananthapuram or through money transfer to the Current Ac. No. 22040200000230 of CED at Federal Bank Vattiyoorkavu Branch, IFS code: FDRL0002204
Receipt of full paper along with Registration form: 25th October, 2017
Communication on acceptance of paper: 5th November, 2017
Registration for Congress participation without papers: 15th November, 2017